D A N I E L M c D O N A L D
P R O F I L E
Accomplished creative professional instructor/designer with multi-faceted background encompassing teaching, art direction and hands-on print production. Broad artistic perspective with keen sense of color and design. Detail-oriented with strong planning, organizational and problem-solving abilities. Excellent communicator and team leader who is able to guide groups toward organizational objectives and tight deadlines. Proven success in building relationships and working effectively with diverse groups on all levels.
S E L E C T E D A C C O M P L I S H M E N T S
Art Director Designer
· Develop a brand image for advertising, corporate identity and graphics package, for a historic restoration company, that does architectural arts and conservation for public and private buildings nation wide.
· Worked very closely with the Design Director/Architect and creative team doing color consultation and fabrications for the interiors of four new Juan Valdez Cafes in Philadelphia. I designed and hired the copywriter for the copy of the new menu boards.
· IPG, designed collateral for Defran Systems, Inc., a certified minority women owned business.
· As Art Director for F. Schumacher & Co., collaborated with marketing to create concepts and design advertising for numerous in-house brands for fabric, furniture, floor coverings and wallpaper, focusing on to-the-trade luxury goods and consumer advertising.
· Re-vamped company’s image to a more upscale and contemporary, enhancing visibility and competitiveness in the marketplace. Updating showrooms and trade show displays.
· Advertising consistently ranked #1 by design committees.
· Provided art direction for marketing needs of corporate showrooms including design of invitations, hang tags, brochures, posters, and business cards.
· Worked on the re-design of Waverly website, making it more user-friendly with corresponding increase in traffic. Liaised with copywriters and fabric stylists in coordinating design and copy for monthly updates.
· Served as Senior Art Director for The Stock Market/Corbis, an international stock photo agency, designing print materials – catalogs, publications, promotional collaterals and packaging. Also provided design direction for company website.
· Held role of Deputy Design Director for Welsh Publishing Group which specialized in client-based licensee and custom publishing. Art directed and designed for Disney publications, United Feature Syndicates, and Torand Productions, Inc., a Spelling Entertainment Company.
· Freelance Design Consultant, successfully completed design projects for corporate clientele including:
o The New York Times – Art directed the Living Section
o Gruner & Jahr USA Publishing – Developed prototype for section of Family Circle Magazine Family Entertainment Guide
o Macmillan/Mc Graw-Hill Publishing – Designed specials section spreads for music textbooks.
o K-111 Magazine Corporation – Served as design consultant for American Baby magazine’s custom publishing: First Year of Life, Toys R Us, Gerber’s As Your Family Grows by L. Nielson.
o Fairchild Publishing – Served as designer for M, W, DNR, and HFD.
o New York Magazine – Handled designs for a trial magazine project for TV Guide.
o BMT Communications, Inc., – Re-designed flagship publication, Convenience Store News.
o National Retail Federation – Art directed Stores Magazine, advertising supplement for MasterCard.
o International Council of Shopping Centers – Designed ICSC Fall Convention and Trade Exposition and Professional Development Opportunities catalog package.
o Advanstar Communications Inc. – Re-designed 13th special issue of American Salon magazine.
o Cahner’s Publishing – Implemented all new designs for Publisher’s Weekly, and Broadcasting & Cable International magazine.
o Sundberg & Associates – Design consultation.
o Ad Council – Designed brochure for the United Negro College Fund.
Print Production Manager
· Managed all facets of print production process, including pre-press, printing, and distribution, for
· Introduced and implemented formal procedures and processes, including archiving systems, to streamline marketing/design workflow. Utilized FilemakerPro to schedule and track projects, facilitating completion within established time frames.
· Secured competitive bids, selected, and negotiated cost-effective contracts with printers, photographers, illustrators, color retouchers and other vendors, significantly cutting costs.
· Conducted press checks to review and approve color releases for scanning, correcting, and retouching.
· Played lead role in preparation of both national and international advertising insertions, ensuring all materials received prior to deadline.
· Coordinated both design and production of direct mail seasonal newsletters distributed to the trade.
· Orchestrated the design and production of annual “price books,” a critical marketing tool distributed to client base. Trafficked data from IT to printer.
E M P L O Y M E N T B A C K G R O U N D
Faculty / Faculty Related Positions
· 1987 — Present. Parsons The New School for Design, SPACE Continuing Education, part-time Associate Professor, developed and taught courses in “Color Theory” and “Pastel Drawing.” I also teach the “Color Theory” course online year round.
o “Color Theory” – Utilizing Joseph Albers approach to color, course explores the dynamic interaction of color and its implications for artists and designers.
o “Pastel Drawing” – Course incorporates color exercises to capture light and explore techniques.
o Painting Instructor, Prospect Heights Senior Service, NYC CDF.
o Color Theory Instructor Consultant for Brooklyn Quilters Guild.
· 2007 — 2012. 440 Gallery, Park Slope, Brooklyn. Member, exhibited at and participated in theme shows juried by outside curators. I did all the marketing materials for the gallery. I also provide individual instruction for Still Life and Abstract Painting.
· 2009 — 2010. Kingsborough Community College, CUNY, Substitute Lecturer, full time faculty, taught 4 courses, “Introduction to Graphic Design & Advertising,” “Design I” and 2 computer software classes. Taught design and color concepts, hands-on and with software in graphic communications field.
Design Consultation Projects
Evergreene Painting Studios Inc., developing a new brand image and graphics package. NFCGC Enterprises (NY), LLC for Juan Valdez Cafes, other clients for creative design and production services are: Ad Council, F. Schumacher & Co., Glenn Mohr Productions, Integrated Printing & Graphics, Sundberg & Associates.
F. Schumacher & Co. New York, NY 1997–2005
Art Director 1997–2001
Art Director/Print Production Manager 2001–2005
The Stock Market/Corbis New York, NY 1996–1997
Senior Art Director
Freelance Design New York, NY 1990–2000
Clients included: The New York Times, Gruner & Jahr USA Publishing, Macmillan/McGraw Hill Publishing,
K-111 Magazine Corporation, Fairchild Publishing, New York Magazine, BMT Communications, Inc.,
National Retail Federation, International Council of Shopping Centers, Advanstar Communications Inc.,
Welsh Publishing Group New York, NY, Deputy Design Director 1991–1992
The New York Times New York, NY, Art directed the Living Section
O T H E R
Awards Received awards of excellence from various design guilds including Society of Publication Designers, Art Direction, and Communication Arts. Memberships ACT-UAW, Local 7902, P3, Partnership in Print Production. Technical Skills teach on-line long distance learning, InDesign, Photoshop, Illustrator, Adobe Acrobat, Filemaker Pro, MS Word, Excel.
Art Work & Exhibitions Painting and Printmaking – 440 Gallery, Kentler International Drawing Space, Brooklyn, NY, Brooklyn Art Space, New Century Artists, Chelsea, NY. Currently working on several editions in silk screen and etching mediums. Exhibitions through out New York Metropolitan region & LA. Clay projects at Clayworks on Columbia, Brooklyn. Volunteer at The Brooklyn Museum. Art studio located in Brooklyn.
E D U C A T I O N
MA – Art Hunter College, New York, NY Thesis: "Early Twentieth Century Art and Its Impact on Graphic Design"
BA – Art CUNY Queens College, Flushing, NY
AAS - Graphic Arts/Advertising Farmingdale State College, SUNY, Farmingdale, NY